Friday, April 04, 2008

The End


Thankfully, this week is over. There is something very celebratory about Friday night, even more so than Saturday night. The whole weekend is ahead of me and I can make the most out of it if I try. I got my numbers to my Tax Man, a heck of a nice guy who taught business in a local high school for years, now does returns for people. I didn't operate at quite the loss I did last year, still a loss, but not as shocking. It was a 30 mile drive in the opposite direction, then stops at the feed store, etc., and the gas station, ofcourse. Gas is so ridiculous I don't know how people live. Makes me just want to stay home. So much to do - packages to mail, a few night's worth of dishes to wash, basic tidying up. I am taking the pictures of my adopted lambs this weekend. I'm excited about that. It makes me happy to share the wonderment with my new farm friends. Matt has been his broody Welsh/Irish self lately and doesn't exude enthusiasm about farming anymore. I suspect he might to the people in his office, but not me. It's the end of a long, hard winter, with so much heartbreak. I miss Breeze so much. This time last year he had baby goats jumping on his back all the time. The babies loved Breeze and he loved them. Chris doesn't like the babies on his back. They try, but he jumps up making snarling llama sounds. Matt is leaving for an energy conference at the Hilton in Pittsburgh on Monday so we have to get all next week's hay in tomorrow and Sunday. He'll be gone through Friday, learning all kinds of neat stuff about the Green Building Movement - saving energy in new homes and retrofitting old homes to be more energy efficient. I suspect he will initially be thrilled to get away from farm chores...then after a couple of nights in the Holiday Inn he might start missing the dogs, etc. We'll see. I will be getting the chores done before dark, like I used to when I was living in the little trailer, because I am a scaredy cat and won't go up into the spooky hay mow alone after dark. Luckily it stays light until 7:30 now and by then I should be done and hunkered down in the apt. I better get out to the lambs with their night-night bottles now. Then I might get the doggies to move over and share the sofa with me for a while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a love he was, and is, and wil always be in my heart and memory.

I believe he still watches over his beloved flocks and will tell Chris when danger is near.

Know he's there with you. Maybe he'll show up one day with Lydia? Who knows ........

Kathleen said...

So there's a broody Matt and a broody Chris there on the farm. That happens sometimes. Sometimes, when things get hard, people feel down about where they are. It happens. We sometimes have to re-evaluate our goals or look again at what we wanted to accomplish when we first started out. It helps us get back to where we wanted to be in the first place.