Sunday, April 06, 2008

Good Morning Sunshine





What a gorgeous day. After waking up at an outrageous 4:30 (it's been a problem for a long time - first it was premature twins, then I went into sheep) I went back to bed and actually slept until 8 am. What heaven! I could tell the weather would be glorious today and it is. Matt went to get more hay. In desperation we called the farmer who sold us such a bad batch of hay last fall that I wouldn't go back, and he had a few bales of green second cut! Matt went to get some, along with some first cut round bales from another farmer, and I couldn't believe what he had brought home. They were green, fragrant and delightful. The lambs started munching on the green, grassy, flakes. I could hardly carry it across the barn without being mobbed and knocked down by the sheep. I was kind of pissed off that he didn't give me this hay last fall, but then he was saving it for a Mr. Tainey, who has a moving fan and hauls hay "down south." I might not be able to get any more of this nice hay because Mr. Tainey is expected back next week. In the meantime, I am saving it for the lambs because I need them to thrive and grow. The sight of those little mouths chewing on brown sticks is just pitiful. I also have a pregnant Rambo - Miss Mamie - in a pen, trying to get some weight on her and the lamb/lambs inside her. She gets grain, along with the lambs. I feel like a traitor, holding a bucket over the heads of the other moms, who are very hungry, taking it to Miss Mamie and the bottle lambs. I hauled more greens to the barnyard and started taking pictures of the adopted lambs. The brilliant sunshine helps. The shutter speed on my camera is kind of slow and makes getting a straight-on head shot difficult, but I did get some cute shots...and they are oh, so adorable!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I think that many people hang on to the image of the old billy goat standing on a junk car, chewing on a tin can. They have the idea that sheep and goats can eat literally anything and do well, so they try to sell the goat keeper the crap hay, thinking that anything will do, and save the good stuff for horses and "people with money".

My experience also tells me that some men think they can sell a woman the worst of what they have and the woman will not know any better. Not only with hay, but with tires, services, maintenance, and anything else, and at a higher price than they would sell to a man.

I know. Two of my own uncles took advantage of my inexperience and my trust in them, with both cars and hay. Never again. I learned my lessons well.

Anonymous said...

What a shame that "family" would take advantage of another family member. We women have had to learn the hard way -- but now I think we are the toughest buyer that men face!

And Maggie, is that little black with white belt Mr. Obama? Whatever it's name, what a darling! I can't wait to get my hands on some of that fiber!