Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Happy Chickens





The chickens may have had a lovely time in the sun yesterday, but a few were left outside overnight...and what a night it was. I can't remember when the wind blew harder. The empty barn shook and moaned and creaked over my bed all night and woke me up several times. What a howling wind. When I peaked outside this morning the thermometer was back in the 20's and the ground was dusted with snow the wind left behind. I found some chickens hiding from the wind and cold on the Milk Room steps and fortunately had them cornered. I was getting out the door in the knick of time and couldn't put on a lengthy chase. Those chickens were soooo happy to be back in their sheltered room with their cracked corn, hay and water. Some of the tiny Olde English hens have squeezed out the chicken room door and live inside the barn. They manage to stay one step ahead of the cats - I don't know how. Maybe they are just big enough that the cats don't consider them "dinner." These brave little hens would rather deal with the cats than the roosters.

1 comment:

Wooly Works said...

Have now caught up on all of your "doings" in the last week or so. So behind, so behind...

Your trip to NJ sounds like heaven. Sometimes I dream of living in town with nothing but a little house and yard to take care of. What would I do with all of that free time? I'm sure it would fill up, but then I read about the chickens and the lambs and about you getting plastered by your ram, and I remember why I chose to live on the farm the way I do. Thanks, Maggie. I needed a reminder of that on this day in particular.