Thursday, August 02, 2007

Home is the Only Safe Place


I remember reading that Gay Talese, the author of the Godfather series that entertained us for so many years, never left his house. He said home was the only safe place and he wanted to stay in it. I agree. I had the news on while picking fleeces yesterday and saw the first breaking news report about the bridge collapse in Minnesota. I can't imagine the horror of that experience, an epic cinematic tragedy for real. It just gives me the shivers to see the pictures, complete with a school bus, of vehicles crushed under the collapsed roadbeds and many teetering on the edge. Yikes! Ofcourse I immediately think about my three kids who are always zooming around, hither and yon, crosscountry or across the state. If anything ever happened to any of them, well, I just don't want to think about it. There was a big earthquake here in Central New York in 1986. My giant 20,000 square foot barn shifted sideways about six inches. If it didn't collapse then I don't think it will now. This sturdy old barn will be here generations after I am gone. Mia has promised to take care of this farm for me. In reality, she will not live here. Her medical career is shaping up in New Jersey. Her father has offered her an examining room in his practice to see patients in. I have a feeling she will like working inside the hospital on the ward more than in an office. That will be her decision. I better go out to the barn and find another fleece to pick and wash. Work is my therapy. I almost have a big yarn order to go out. Hope Deb McDermott of Stonehedge Fiber Mill can get it spun fast enough for the fall shows. I am trying to talk my friend Jan into making buttons for me to sell. She's so talented and has a kiln for firing. People who knit sweaters are always looking for new and different buttons. I need to get out my stash of Sculpey and Femo clay and roll out some new buttons for my bags. A customer suggested I sell them seperately - a terrific idea. Another activity I can do at HOME on Maggie's Farm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is hard to beleive that that bridge is only 5 miles west from where I work. It is not a bridge that I crossed all that often because it't on my way home but for people who live and work in Minneapolis, it is a main part of the infrastructure of the Twin Cities area. We talk to so many people who were within minutes of that area at the time of the colapse. It is amazing how your life can change over one minute. We are all still in shock and distressed over the bodies that have not been recovered.