Friday, April 22, 2011

Ups and Downs


Still cold, grey and damp. Was hoping to dry some fiber outside but won't happen. Better to do it on tables in my "spare" room, close the door, and turn the ceiling fan and baseboard heater on. Still hoping to get one more run done before Maryland, but have to force myself to divert to other things. Been working too hard on picking fiber and have gone a bit dotty over it. Feeling rather distracted and scattered. I have big plans for the next three days but tend to "over plan" and berate myself for not getting enough done. I cooked a turkey for a student's birthday yesterday. That was his request, as he adores turkey sandwiches, and was starting his GED tests, and I wanted to reward him. I made stuffing and gravy for him but he put his sliced turkey breast on bread with lots of ranch dressing (the kids are crazy about it - makes me gag) and chowed down. I also made a giant sheet cake, which we share with other students who stick their heads in the door, following the aroma, and left a big chunk for our custodian. I have the turkey carcass boiling now. I had to reclaim my soap scrap melting pot, which took a bit of soaking, but I'm good to go. I found some twigs outside and decided to burn my one remaining log to get me in the mood to stay inside and sew. Between the fire and the turkey soup I'm good to go. Now to start sewing the three bags I cut out this morning before chores, and after picking a zillion burdocks out of a batch of chartreuse mohair. I reclaimed an old but fantastic black Bluefaced Leicester fleece. I'll have one run of pure mohair this year, but ordinarily I like to blend everything with wool. Wool is the miracle fiber - the Mother of All Fibers - but human nature is such that we take it for granted. Not around here. With all the work, blood, sweat and tears it takes to raise the wool I appreciate every crimpy lock.

No comments: