Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bureaucratic Nightmare


There are three things I am very proud of:

My three kids
My two grand kids
My sterling driving record.

Okay, I did get two tickets in my lifetime. One for doing 35 in a 25 when I was young and foolish, then, 30 years later, a ticket for overdue inspection. The car needed a zillion dollars worth of work and I was putting it off - but that wasn't a moving violation! So it's almost sterling...When I misplaced my driver's license I was very, very uncomfortable about driving without it. I was sure something terrible would happen and the long arm of the law would get me by the neck. So there I was, standing in the Motor Vehicle Agency line in Norwich, hoping to get a replacement. There was no form in the big wall mounted form cubbies so I had to get in line and wait to get a form. Two ladies, working very hard, with one MAN sitting at a desk in an adjacent office, doing nothing that I could see. Grrrrrrr! I thought I was back in New Jersey, with people sighing, rolling their eyes and shifting back and forth. There was even an immigrant in front of me with a daunting pile of papers that had to be sorted through, explained to him, and, to my horror (and his, I'm sure) faxed to Albany for them to sort through. I started to feel faint, as it was cold and raining and I had too many clothes on. I kept thinking about the soap I need to cut up, the one-more-fleece I need to pick and dye to make my Lipstick run, the bags I should be sewing, the house I need to tidy up, etc., etc. Finally I got to the window and she said no problem, fill this out and pay $17.50 and your all set. Me, Idiot Herself, stepped away from the window to fill out the form rather than make people wait. Big mistake. Once filled out I had to get in the back of the line and watch while others stayed at the window filling out their forms. They are a lot smarter than me. It was an eternity before I got back to the window, and, once finished, the poor clerk whispered that she had not had her lunch (it was after 2) and she would have to close the window. That left one clerk for a looooong line of customers. That episode, combined with bad news from the accountant (yes, I should have had more money taken out of my paycheck through the last year) and the rain, conspired to take the wind out of my sails. I got home, got the doggies up the hill and around the pond in the rain, came back in and had to lie down. Here it is 5 and I am too tired to make soap. I think I'll get a dirty fleece to pick while I'm sitting down and wait for some energy to come back. I can only do so much. It is me, only me, with waaaay too much to do, and it's been waaay too long since I had a vacation. I can't remember one, except for a honeymoon cruise 12 years ago and a visit to Eric's for Christmas with the grand kids two years ago. Okay, that's all the whining I'm going to do now. Ten minute nap, some Chai tea, and I should be straightened out.

No comments: