Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cozy and Dry


Got my morning walk on the hill done just in time. It's raining hard now, dark and cold. Perfect morning to be inside working with hot coffee and an endless stream of music and movies. The Fabulous Postma Brothers brought me a load of sweet, soft grass hay yesterday (gosh, I love those guys!) so I gave the flock a couple of extra bales. They are lying around the barn in little groups, up against each other, chewing their cud and dreaming sheepy dreams. I love to tiptoe around and watch them. The goats have very strong family ties and you can see three generations relaxing with their mother. The tiny newborn doe - Petra - is doing nicely. I have another doe ready to give birth, udder swollen and belly tight, in her own pen already so I don't have to worry about another birth in a dark, far away corner. I almost have another big, colorful roving run ready to ship to the mill. I am devilish in that way. I got 115 pounds to John at Frankenmuth but will get one more to him with a plea to do it last minute and bring it to Maryland. I do it every year and most years he complies. Other mills would say forget about it! Still more soap to cut up with so much to wrap it boggles my mind. Three bags on the machine now and will cut out more tonight. I'll try to sweet-talk Beastie Boy into going to the feed mill for me this morning so I can work. This rain isn't letting up. Thank goodness for my dry, cozy barn. The barn is 240 long with a vast metal roof but the only part that is leaking is over the milk room where I spend a great deal of time. That's where the laundry and dye stove is, and where barn kitties winter-over. I forgot to position my leak pots last night but they are making music now.

No comments: