Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day's A Wastin'


Ten o'clock already and the show is on the road. The thought of not having to go into town and deal with stuff is having an euphoric and energizing effect on me. So far today...

Finished picking a partially felted and very dirty fleece I started last night during Jay Leno. Bella slept on it, very happily, then I tackled it over coffee this morning.

Fed kitties, bottle lambs and made a duck egg omelette for myself. Just gotta make use of all these fabulous eggs that I find everywhere. The last couple of days I made a giant pan of scrambled eggs for the barn kitties. They were wary at first then chowed down.

Washed the nasty fleece and got it simmering in Jacquard Cherry Red with a touch of Russett for depth of color. Thankfully I had some vinegar left. Jacquard doesn't need it but red is tricky. That's why you don't see a whole lot of bright red roving around. It likes to wash right off the fiber.

Rinsed my only angora, dyed purple, to put in the red run. It came out just stunningly with many hues of purple. Had to pull most of it apart. I think I let the water run on it when rinsing, not good.

Got some essential oils and fragrance oils organized and made decisions about blends. My dear friend Laticia Mullin gifted me with her stash of oils when she retired from the soap business. I appreciate every drop of oil as it is so expensive to buy. I know I have a following who like unscented soap, but with most customers the bar goes right up smack against the nose.

Did my 75 leg ups and ballet stretches. My back is in the best shape in years and I want to keep it that way. The shoulder is also improving greatly with the yoga/ballet or whatever I do. I just make it up as I go.

On deck for today...more soap. I never get over the miracle of it. It' still a thrill when I uncover yesterday's batch and find that it set up just right and is still "cooking." I'll sell soap at the Hamilton Farmer's market all summer. Sometimes I think of the Fabulous Beekman Boys, right up the road, and their grand, glorious enterprise which you can watch on TV...but they have DEEP pockets and can afford to hire people to do EVERYTHING. Not nearly as admirable as people who do it themselves, on a meager budget, using imagination instead of credit to get the job done. It's still a funny show and I watch it because I like Farmer John, the guy who takes care of the goats.

Speaking of getting the job done, I guess that's me. Ciao for now.

No comments: