Friday, December 19, 2008

Ten Years


Matt and I are celebrating our tenth anniversay today with a fish dinner in downtown New Berlin. He remarked that it's been ten years since I told him to put a dress on and parade down the aisle of the Morristown Methodist Church. Actually, it was a very lovely Irish National tartan kilt, with all the appropriate accoutrement - fuzzy pocketbook over his male parts, a knife in the sock, etc. I even bought him a fancy pair of wing-tips to wear with the kilt. His outfit cost more to rent than my gorgeous raw silk dress cost to purchase. I saw it in the basement of the bridal shop across the street from the church. It was love at first sight. I did the alterations myself. Mia and the bridesmaids wore a dark green sheath dress with a little jacket to match. $35. each. A bride had ordered them and didn't like the color once they came in. I wore Mia's gown on the honeymoon cruise - can't do that anymore. I made all the bouquets out of cascading ivy, holly, evergreens, roses and baby's breath. They were breathtaking alright, and I haven't seen bouquets that equal them yet. I hope Mia lets me make her bouquets when/if she decides to marry. All you do is buy the handles at the craft store, then go wild with the scissors in the woods, and people's yards. Oh, the roses came from the florist. No roses blooming in December. It was a simple but elegant wedding, with a crazy nut-case of a harpist providing all the music, and a non-alcoholic reception in the social hall of the church. It was very Southern (no alcohol at Baptist weddings - that would be like inviting the devil in!) We moved the reception to our friend, Maria's, house in Morristown. She was the one who hooked us up when I was moving out of Morristown and he had just moved here from Texas. We were both at crossroads of our lives. Matt helped me move and did such a good job I signed him on. It has been a tumultuous ten years, with too many moves, the death of both my parents, and the impulsive move to New York State which took him away from his own construction company and me away from my tenured job at an upscale high school. Many changes...but we are still here, trying to carve a life out of the hillside. There is about a foot of snow but we will try to get out to dinner tonight. The restaurant is the old town hospital. Guests who were born in the building can sign their names in a special book. Two Miami cops bought the place, refurbished it and called it "Remember When." An antique shop is adjacent to the dining area. Everyone sits at antique tables and upholstered chairs with Tiffany lamps overhead. I haven't been in there since I went upstairs at the open house and promptly fell down them again. I think I will stay on the first floor. A gigantic bouquet came to work yesterday and I have some bling on my finger to replace the gorgeous sapphire engagement ring I lost in the barn. Can't believe he would get me more jewelry after losing two nice rings...but he was smart enough to get this insured before giving it to me. Mia coming tomorrow to have a little Christmas and take me to Newark Airport.

3 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Happy Anniversary you two!!! I can't think of two more matched people on this earth. You each bring to each other strengths that make you remarkable!!! Hoping for many more years for you two together in good health and harmony. And if you win the lottery along the way so much the better!!
HUGS to you all!!!
Kim and crew

Kathleen said...

Happy Anniversary!

Kathleen said...

Happy Anniversary!