Friday, December 12, 2008

Blowing Smoke


Okay, I knew the weather was bad. It was snowing, cold, etc. I checked the sending districts and called the school. Only got machines. Two were closed that I could tell from their websites. I thought I better go. Got all my gear together and started out. I knew if I could make it to route 8 I could probably get there. It was slow going. I called Penny the secretary before the cell black out and she told me one district was coming and we had a one hour delay. I should get there in time. Took an hour going to South New Berlin and over Tanner's Hill, an easier slope than my usual route. I knew something was wrong when Gretchen was not in her parking space. I got out and started across the parking lot when I was greeted with the building operations guys yelling hey! we closed! go get some breakfast sandwiches. Okay, I was frustrated to say the least. This is life at BOCES. All eight sending districts have to close before we can, and we can't wait at home to hear. I stomped and fumed a bit, then went inside just to show administration that I managed to get there in spite of the storm. I had a nice chat with Steve Perrin, the head man in charge, a farmer/teacher himself, and felt better. What an easy going country gentleman type he is. I never felt comfortable with my old principal in New Jersey, but Steve is so genuine. The culinary T/A told me to go get some salad they were trying to get rid of, so I helped myself to lettuce and macaroni. I thought of all the kids who won't get a square meal today because BOCES is closed. Had a nice chat with Sharon, our Special Ed. secretary, who has to work the day even though we are closed. What a gem she is, the one who holds it all together for Special Ed. and typical of CNY folks - so nice, helpful and salt-of-the-earth, while being so strong and stoic. There is no whining and self-indulgence in CNY. These folks were raised on the last frontier! Made my way home, took another hour and the roads were about the same, and made it all the way up the drive, gunning the little Jeep. Opened the door to the apt. and found it filled with black smoke and some very frantic dogs. The wood stove had lost the flame and the wind was backdrafting into the apt. All three alarms were blaring. Poor doggies. Thank God I came home right away. Took a while to get some flame going while turning off the alarms several times. Opened all the windows and the wind/snow came through. I don't think I can keep the stove on while I'm gone. Got the doggies outside and they all made their BM's right away, like they were trying to be extra good doggies, as if they had done something wrong! I think I have to lie down for ten minutes then get some work done around here. I will have one eye on the fire, one very red teary eye.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Maggie! I was probably at school when you got here. My father brought me in. It's 12:21 and I'm sitting at my desk doing some work. It was annoying that we didn't know we were closed until so late. Ridiculous! Feel better and have a great weekend.

Sharon said...

Maggie,
What a day you've had! How did you make out with the Jeep?

You wrote such nice things about me! or was it just because you know I read your daily blogs? LOL
Actually I'm a Bostonian...came to CNY as my "was-band" is from Norwich, NY. I too love the rural lifestyle but miss all the wonderful city things I used to do. I don't miss the traffice and road rage, though.
Enjoy the weekend. Stay warm and dry. See you Monday.
-Sharon

Kathleen said...

Oh, Maggie...the down draft is so irritating and frustrating. That happened to me a lot, until I learned about chimneys and coal burners. At least your stove is a wood burner and the fire can be put out relatively quickly. Mine was a coal burner and always seemed to decide to have a down-draft at 3 am. I finally solved my problem by raising the height of my stove pipe by 6 more feet and getting an H-shaped cap for it.

Maggie's Farm said...

I do need another length of stove pipe. Trouble is, we'll need a lift to put it up top. If it's not one thing, it's another. How are you, Kathleen? What is Christmas like in Peru?