Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thar She Blows!


Mary, Luke and Hannah made me get in the pond. I was happy with my Sunday NY Times in the gazebo, shooting pictures and calling encouragement to the pond dwellers, but, no, that was not enough. I had what they call "approach avoidance." I wanted to go in but couldn't bring myself to do it. They talked me into it. Once in, I don't know why I ever hesitated. Well, yes, I do. It's been cold this summer in upstate NY, and then there's that mama snapping turtle I helped in the pond this spring...but mama snapper never came up from the mud bottom and it was heavenly in the water. Oh, my goodness, there must be some kind of secret mineral in that water. It just felt different in a lovely, penetrating sort of way. Then there was the best part of all...my little Lukie floating with me on the raft with that big smile with all the funny little teeth and those goggles on. We had real quality time together. I didn't want to get out. Lukie bailed and ran down the hill back to the barn to give his chicks the flies he caught in the screen cabana. Mary and I floated around together and talked about all kinds of things. I really owe her a debt of gratitude for making me experience the wonders of the pond, and spending so much time with me and the kids this summer. We both know what's coming in a couple of months...the harsh NY State winter and all the back breaking work we do slinging bales and hauling water and raising critters. Speaking of critters...I spied Wooster mounting Sombra a couple of times. My calculator tells me lambs on Christmas Eve. Once again, I didn't pull the rams in time. The rodeo will be in session this weekend to get those boys out. Then I will need another swim in the pond.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Yay! I was hoping you'd finally jump in and enjoy yourself!

miaaviva said...

I am so happy that you got in! when andrew and i come up we'll make you come for another swim!!!!