Friday, July 17, 2009

No Juice


As I was lying in bed, contemplating the rest of my vacation from my "real job," the fan in the window slowed to a stop. No power. My mind flashed to attention, yes, I paid the bill. Then the panic - no water! No cartoons for the kids! No sewing machine! No computer AND NO BLOG!! I heard voices in the driveway - the Sisters and Chris, the old farmer, discussing what might have happened. I took the dogs out and heard the generator going at the dairy farm across the creek. I have spring-fed ponds and a sistern behind the barn which always holds water for the sheep and goats, but what about the chickens? The gas stove can be turned on with a match for coffee. Matt makes fun of me for always filling up containers for the dogs and cats, and the sheep when everything is frozen for the winter. Luckily, the power doesn't go out much here. It was much worse in New Jersey. I got my morning bath with two inches in the bath tub, that's all it takes to get clean. I was cutting out bags when the power came back on. What was the first thing I did? Turn on the Today Show, which I can never watch when school is in session. I have a riding lesson scheduled for Hannah and Luke at Barb's, then over to Mary's to pick up wool she graciously offered me after her shearing. The kids are still asleep and won't miss their morning cartoons. In all likelihood they will sleep until I have to wake them up for riding.

No comments: