Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hello Anonymous

I want to address the person who is making comments to my blog anonymously. You say you "went to school with the Kupris kids," who worked this farm before me. You want me to give credit to the brother who moved to Tennessee where he has been successfully farming. I would love to give him credit but I have no idea who he is. Is he Sister Bernadette's twin brother? I don't know his name or anything about him but I wish him well. Farming is the toughest job there is. Most of us are hanging on by a thread. If I make any statements that offend you or anyone else I apologize. I sit down and write, mostly in a stream of consciousness, because I feel that any farmer has multiple stories to tell of courage, loss, defeat, anguish, and the euphoria that comes when there is some success to show for our efforts. As for your comment on "why don't I talk about the dead animals I throw out the barn door," well, what else am I supposed to do with them? Animals die and they have to transported to the dead pile. I don't want to leave them with the healthy ones. I left little Larry where he died for a day and the chickens started pecking at him. I took him out to the truck and right to the boneyard. The coyotes will do their work. There's lots of protein and minerals in that little body and many wild creatures will benefit. The Kupris's tell me stories about their dairy farming experiences that just rip my guts out. Farming is a series of highs and lows, and the lows can be devastating. I grieve for each and every death on this farm. Who are you to tell me to have respect when you have no idea what I go through on a daily basis? I gave up a tenured job at a classy New Jersey high school, just 30 miles west of Manhattan, to give farming a go. I lived in a small trailer where two electric heaters didn't make the temp go over 40 F. inside. I woke up with my hair frozen to the wall of the trailer, but still managed to keep a whole lot of sheep and goats alive the first winter while holding down a teaching job in Norwich. There were no hot casseroles delivered to my door here in Brookfield, but I stayed and I made it work. Please tell me your name and give me some way to get in touch with you so we can talk face to face. You have the advantage here. You know all about me but I know nothing about you. Are you tiptoeing around my farm when I'm not here? I lay it all out on a daily basis at risk of being maligned for the sake of documenting a good story and keeping my family appraised of my situation. Read my blog if you want to. If you don't like what you read please, don't tune in.

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

Not good to have haters "lurking" the blog. I enjoy the pictures of the crazy kitties and all that business. It certainly is not easy being a farmer and also working in alternative education. You're fabulous...I hope the lurker goes away.

Maggie's Farm said...

Oh, Thanks, Gretchen! I was SO hoping for a little stroking! You're a doll and I wish I could squeeze you right now!

Steph said...

I so agree with Gretchen. Having a blog like yours is not an open invitation to be allowed to be an obnoxious commenter. Please do not take such comments any more to heart, you deserve kudos for your forthright works. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I think you've done an amazing job with your learning curve on the farm. I, too, am a farm girl and can relate to all the stories you tell. Please continue. I love to join your life for a while each day. Joan in MS

Cornerstone Fibres said...

As somebody who has had the extreme privledge of seeing all the critters on Maggies Farm and seeing the love and dedication you have for your animals this person whoever he or she is has no idea about what they are talking about. We have lived with you the joys of birthing and the agony of losing a beloved memeber of the flock, this unfortunately is what we all face in life everyday. When critters die on your farm they are allowed to be returned to the Earth from which they came -its a part of the cycle of farming. You keep going Maggie -you are an incredible farmer and person!!!!

HUGS
Kim and crew
in hot and muggy Ontario

Kathleen said...

Bravo Maggie! There's always someone who thinks they know it all, and end showing how ignorant they really are. Ignore the anonymous poster. He/She isn't worth your time.

Edith said...

You're in good company. The Yarn Harlot has a nasty commenter too. Personally, I can't imagine why anyone would want to complain about a blog. I've tried writing one a couple of times and it's not easy. You are just great about letting us know what's going on. Some good, some sad but always entertaining.