Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Beaver Creek Adventure





We set off for Beaver Creek around 2 when I was satisfied it was only going to drizzle slightly today. Luke was determined to get to the creek. No stories about the giant snapping turtle I saw crawling out of the creek to lay her eggs would deter him. He told me his daddy taught him how to deal with snappers while at camp. Okay, I said, and brought the sturdy walking stick Darryl Parkinson had given me when he visited. It's terrific for walking on this rough ground and I thought I might be able to push away turtles with it. As it turned out, we saw no turtles - just some minnows, crayfish and snails. Not a single turtle of any variety. You can bet I kept my eyes on the creek bed! The water was way down making it possible for us to walk the creek bed up and down. It is just gorgeous in there, surrounded by willow trees and wild flowers. You could imagine being up in the Adirondacks. Beaver Creek winds around and around through the little valley we live in. After the hilltop pond, it is my favorite place here. Luke just loved it. Hannah bravely endured, with the promise of a chicken and biscuit dinner at the Beaver Den keeping her going.

No comments: