Friday, July 17, 2009

Holly and Her Chicks


Holly loves her chicks. Whenever anyone is in the bathroom Holly trots over to the door to listen for any signs of chick distress. She loves to put her head down close to the chicks and nuzzle them. One time she had her front paws in the tub with the chicks and I had to intervene. I think Holly wanted to get in there with them, which would be a problem since she really couldn't fit. Anyway, the chicks were flying out of the tub and around the bathroom, leaving little calling cards everywhere. Hannah and I decided it was time to put the teenage chicks back in the barn. Well, we live in the barn, so it would be in the other part of the barn. I took them to a wire rabbit cage in the chicken room where they would be together and protected from the roosters and mother hens. This way everyone could get used to each other before I let them go. Holly was a little panicky when I picked up the tub. She followed me into the outer barn and jumped into the chicken room with me. I put the chicks in the wire cage one by one, with Holly sniffing every single one. It was soooo sweet. I put some fluffy hay in the cage with them so they could snuggle and hide in it. It's much cooler out there tonight, but the chicks have lots of feathers now. Tomorrow I will take Holly out there so she can visit her chicks again.

1 comment:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

She is such a sweetie!!! And such a good mommy too -:)
HUGS to all
Kim and crew