Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Shakey Ground


Matt called my classroom and excitedley told me he had just experienced an earthquake in Syracuse. 5.5 the news said later. He said his desk rolled like it was on top of a wave and the computer monitor shook for about 30 seconds. I didn't feel a thing in Norwich, 2 hours east. I know we had a sizeable earthquake here in the 1980's when my barn foundation moved six inches. I'm not sorry I missed it. It would have put the fear of God into me for sure! That's okay, I'm very much in touch with my mortality as it is. Every day is precious. This was a good day because my student who HAD TO PASS the US History Regent to graduate did just that - he passed. That was half the day. Got home to hike with the doggies and do chores. I found my prettiest doe standing in the field looking a bit odd. She wasn't grazing which is what everybody else does as soon as I let them out, and was staring around. I noticed her udder swollen and her female parts puffy. Oh, dear, she's going to give birth. After chores I fed Matt dinner and asked him to help me get her caught and penned up. Luckily we found her on the hill before dark and got her inside and fenced off so she can give birth in a safe place without being bothered by other curious goats. I wanted to make creme tonight but it's not going to happen.
Luckily, Kimmie Cornerstone is coming tomorrow to help me get ready for the Syracuse Jazz Festival this weekend. I know I'll be alright with her here to help. She'll help me wrap soap and work the booth through the weekend. I know she'll LOVE the new goat babies! When it rains it pours. There must be other pregnant goats out there. They've been gorging on grass and clover and it's hard to tell with their bulging bellies what's going on. Swollen udders don't lie. Matt will have his hands full while we're at the festival.

1 comment:

Briarose said...

Hi Maggie-we had a 5.0 earthquake here today. The epicenter was in Quebec and was felt right thru to Ohio. Maybe that was the one Matt experienced.
Way too much excitement for this old girl.
Hope there was no damage or injury. Claire