Saturday, June 12, 2010

On Deck


Woke up to rain this morning. I like when the weather makes a definitive statement. I don't have to wait, check the radar a dozen times, listen to one forecast, then another forecast. It's raining and that's that. No market today. That opens up many possibilities. Two bags on the machine, many more cut out and waiting. Can't decide if I should make Lemon Eucalyptus soap or Clary Sage with Lavender. Lemon Eucalyptus is a member of the citronella family and is one of the best bug-repellent soaps there is. Since I'm covered with bug bites this might be a good choice. I should go to Louis Gale in Sangerfield to get feed. The goats are free on pasture but I'm giving them a feed called Fitting every night. I have one doe nursing and another looks pregnant to me. Jim Baldwin is coming back next week to finish shearing the last goats and sheep. I have a nice, dark wooled run in progress with deep navy and spruce green. I'll add some purple and maybe some Aztec Gold. The fall shows will be here before you know it. I was trying to explain to someone what it's like to grow my own wool and not purchase it from a commercial source. It's like a potter scraping her clay from the banks of a stream instead of buying it from an art supply house. I can be sure my fiber is coming from happy, well-cared for sheep and goats. Better get busy and tidy this place up before I get busy. Now what to do with the two kitties on my shoulder helping me type...

1 comment:

Four Owls Farm said...

Speaking of your fiber.... I would absolutely love to get more of your yellow or orange roving for a fall project I'm working on - do you have any left?