Sunday, June 06, 2010

New Bundaflicka Bags






The market hangs over me like a guillotine blade sometimes. I know I should get there, as it is my "summer job," but at times it is a love-hate relationship. When the downpour pounded on my metal barn roof in the wee hours of Saturday morning I woke up with a start. Will I get to the market? Instead of rolling over and saying the heck with it now I can sleep late, I turned on the Weather Channel and obsessed over it for the next three hours. Finally, after checking Syracuse Channel 9 Doppler radar, I determined there was enough of a hiatus between storms to try for the market. I was right, there was no rain despite black clouds obscuring the blue sky intermittently through the morning. The problem came with a tired, bedraggled Maggie who had her head bowed over her spinning wheel, nodding out every few minutes. It helps to be a happy, smiling saleslady, chatting with customers about everything under the sun. Didn't happen. I was blessed with a few soap sales (despite the fact that there are FOUR soap vendors at this little market now!!) two fiber sampler packs and the one lady who bought SIX jars of creme (thank you). I had managed to get four new bags that needed buttons, bottom inserts, etc. done the night before and many people took a look. That's all they did, even with the well-heeled Colgate Alumni parading through with their cute reunion tee-shirts. There's always next week, and the fall shows require an ample amount of product. Fortunately, it doesn't go bad.

No comments: