Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"Do What I Can"


I try to do it all, I really do, but sometimes it's just not enough. With a full time job, farm business, all these critters, and, oh yes, a husband, I am very troubled when I just don't have enough time to do everything I want or need to do. It makes me very private about my world. When I lived in a fancy development in New Jersey, I would drive up and down in front of my house at night, to see how the living room looked through the windows, and to make sure the doilies were properly placed. Now I live an "alternative lifestyle" and it suits me, but it's not for everyone. Some people from school really wanted to come to the farm, one student in particular. When we found out that Monday was her last day, and she begged and pleaded to go to the farm she had heard so much about, I couldn't say no. We booked the van and off we went. I'm comfortable enough with these people as I work with them every day and I know they like and respect me - but would a visit to the farm change that? I knew they had preconceived notions about my place and they resembled something like Farmer Hoggett's farm in the movie Babe - sheep fairyland! I decided to take them up to the pond first, where we could gaze down on the lovely view of the barn and pasture from the north side. As luck would have it, the day was grey and rainy and the high grass on the pond pasture made our pants wet. Ofcourse they did not have on the proper footwear - visitors never do - and I heard comments about oh, my socks are wet, etc. Down at the barn we had to walk through quishy old hay on top of mud to get to the piglets, who shrunk in horror at the sight of new humans. The sheep, hearing my voice, said oh, she's home and all paraded out to the gate to be let out to graze. I hated disappointing them, but it was a good way for my guest to see the critters. A remark was made about the one who wasn't walking right (civilians always pick out the one who is lame or different). Baby Thunder cooperated nicely by calling hello to me and we did our back and forth conversation to show that sheep can really talk to humans. I tried to take my company up the ladder to the hay mow but my student said I can't climb that - and she was afraid of the White Boys so we had to walk all around the outside of the barn to get upstairs. I think my hay mow is very beautiful, even empty of hay, but there was little response. We went to eat pizza and back to school. My student left in tears that day, as she really bonded with us and hated to leave. She emailed me about how much she loved my farm and thank you so much for taking her, gushing all over about the ducks, the sheep, etc. No comments from my other guests about the visit, but that's okay. I knew they might be a bit "overwhelmed." They saw my farm and that's that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOl Maggie we are so much a like that sometimes I think we were separated at birth being born twins. lol lol I too love my little farm but often think what would so and so think? My fences need fixing my barn needs cleaning, my beautiful April needs a momma with a stronger heart for I can't find the strength to put her down. She has 4 bum legs and can't even get up so I have been moving her around each day for almost 8 months now.She wants to go out with the other goats and cries but I just don't have what it takes and besides what would anyone coming to help think of the mess? Who has time to clean after all we create and dream... someone has to do the dreaming. I for one would love to visit your cozy little home with the beautiful view. When I was a kid my dad used to tell us about an irish neighbor whose kids would be hanging on the curtains and wiping their noses she would say "wat th'el ther'appy"! I like her way of thinking. Who needs those fancy lives anyway?

Anonymous said...

If you are comfortable in your space and your animals are healthy then what others think is not important, a work many hours a day on my farm and cleaning rarely hits the top of my to do list.