Wednesday, June 09, 2010

The Great Pig Escape


As I was coming in from chores last night around 10 PM, so glad the night was almost over and it was finally my time to fool around, I glanced out the barn window and, to my horror, saw Winken, Blinken and Nod standing in the middle of the driveway. They were looking around as if to say, where should we go now? I ran for my crook and my flashlight. I think the crook is more for me to prop myself up after I fall on my face running through the wet grass. The three heard my footsteps and took off in the opposite direction of their pen. One split off and the other two ran along the long dairy barn foundation, up the incline towards the doors that Thor guards. They slipped past Thor, who looked incredulously at these animals he was not familiar with, and Finn, who guards the apartment door, and hooked a left along the old wooden stanchions. I decided to run them down toward the Little Lamb Fine Dining creep feeder and they cooperated, with sheep and goats leaping side to side to avoid them. I got them cornered and tried to pick them up. No way - they are very fast and when I succeeded in getting my hands on one it would scream a wild piggie scream and thrash back and forth until I let go. It was awful. I decided not to wake up Matt, who had gone to bed sick. I dragged some wood and a garbage can over to where I had the two pinned and barracaded them in. I thought I better go and try to catch the other one, or at least chase him away from the road. But then I heard a noise! The third piggie had actually found his way back to his room in the barn and was talking to the two who were captured on the other side of the wall from him. What a smart piggie! If the wall had been shorter I could have tossed the two over the wall, but I didn't want broken piggie legs. I went outside and walked around to the pig pen and secured his gate - or so I thought. In the morning I told Matt what happened and asked him to get the two back in their pig pen. When he opened the milk room door, there was pig #3, sleeping with the cats! He had escaped again and gone looking to get around and into the barn to find his friends. He could not, however, get through the milk room door. With such a gigantic old barn, 240 feet long and 40 feet wide, he had covered some territory and gotten his little piggie legs up the stairs and through one door. When he gave up he wisely decided to bed down with some new friends - the Milk Room Kitties! The three little pigs are all together again in their nice warm dirt, which they prefer to hay, sleeping off the excitement. Matt says he fixed the gate so they won't get out. We'll see!

No comments: