Sunday, June 20, 2010

Morning on the Farm


Matt is sleeping in the sheep show trailer, free from dogs, cats, TV, people, etc., as part of his Father's Day celebration. He loves it out there, and the White Boys - Thor, Finn and Knut - cooperated last night by barking a lot less than usual. Mia went on a six mile run around the Brookfield loop, three miles to the village on one side of Beaver Creek, and three miles back on the other side of the creek. I wanted to follow her in the truck but she wouldn't have it. There's only one place where I think farm dogs might bother her so I'm waiting by the phone. On deck for today - clean up the kitchen, cut up a batch of Clary Sage soap, empty and scrub the "work room," which is the buffer room between me and the animals. With my farmer's market earnings we bought a roll of five foot welded wire fence to build a duck/chicken play pen. I don't want the chickens to spend the summer inside the barn and the ducks need a little swimming pool. We'll see how it goes. I'm sure we'll be ready for a swim in the pond later today. It's hot and steamy out there. Ah, summer in New York. Luckily, the green glory doesn't last very long. We could have frost in September and it will be wool weather again!

1 comment:

Henya said...

Wow! You just keep on coming up with interesing ways to pamper your flock.