Saturday, August 08, 2009

Market is Perking Up


Lots of tourists, neighbors and even BOCES friends came to the market today. Matt dropped me off and went home to unload hay wagons. I warned him that Will wouldn't be baling until the dew dried off the rows and I was right. It wasn't until noon that the wagons were loaded and ready to haul across to my farm. Matt was able to put in some serious sofa time (contrary to what he likes to tell people)before he came to pick me up. Once he came to get me with the truck at 2 he was frantic to get back and unload before any rain might come. Good idea. I did manage to duck into Whole Foods and get my soy milkshake and chat with Candace a bit. She also had a good market day. I sold a Mega-Tote I've been lugging around for a year. Can't believe it didn't go in Maryland. A first grade teacher saw it and it was love at first sight. She was thrilled. That's why I don't give up on bags. It's just a matter of time before the right person comes along. I didn't sell a single bit of fiber or photo cards, but creme and soap went steadily. Good reason to diversify your products. Once home I was pretty pooped. I have a big operation to set up and take down, and I forgot to bring something to drink. I rewarded myself for all the hard work and good sales by buying lots of cherries, blueberries and nectarines to snack on all week. I even bought some cabbages for more cole slaw. Can't get enough of it this year. Loren came to help stack bales. Good thing he could make it as he was able to climb up to free my elevator motor which had just started to burn up and had tripped the circuit breaker. It was tangled up in old baling twine. Things go a lot easier on me when Matt has a male companion to work with. I bought him lots of goodies at the Landmark Inn table, my booth neighbor's place. Sugar goes a long way in soothing the savage beast...

No comments: