Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Flaming Fiber Fest



The dye pots are still boiling over. It's amazing I have two burners left. Good thing I have a dedicated dye stove in the milk room. Picking, washing and dyeing wool can be very messy. This particular batch is all mohair, one very fine colored kid fleece and one rather coarse adult colored fleece. Mohair takes dye very nicely. The weather today was absolutely gorgeous and perfect for drying fiber outside, warm sun and gentle breeze. I have a huge, soft and lovely colored fleece in the washer right now. I should wash and boil it tonight so I can put it out early tomorrow, but I'm too tired. After swimming with Mary and enjoying her home-made sunflower wine, then doing chores tonight - I'm bushed. Chores included rounding up all the sheep and goats so we could catch the angora bucks - again. Their pen is, hopefully, secured this time. The goats disappeared today and were found gorging themselves in the neighbor farm's second cut hay field. They were chased away and lit out to the hidden field under the ridge - prime coyote territory. Luckily we found them before dark. I'm hoping, with the boys locked up, the girls will be less adventurous. I had a nice chat with Luke tonight, who is ecstatically happy with his birthday gifts. Annie brought him pineapple upside down cake and ice cream to school to share with his friends.

5 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Love this colour -its very stunning!!! Its such a fall colour!!!
HUGS
Kim

Henya said...

Each day the colors are more and more amazing.
Sunflower wine? And here I thought in Russia we have tried it all.

Trish said...

Love all your colors-can't wait to see them (oh.. and you) at Hemlock!

Gretchen said...

Gorgeous color with a sassy orange kittie model! Love the color posts!

Steph said...

WOW, more gorgeously colored fiber!!! Your colors are so beautiful, great job. Steph in NH