Thursday, May 13, 2010

Crafty Kids




We are having lots of fun with various crafts in school. When we're finished with our academics we get out the needles or fire up the sewing machine. I taught my students the Continental (German) style of knitting, with the long tail cast-on method, and we're knitting scarves. A scarf is a great first time project as we get lots of practice with that naughty first stitch on the row. One student opted to use the loopy cast-on and the English method, which he was introduced to once before. Fine with me, but I think Continental is better. I learned to knit when a nice lady came to my Brownie troop at the Neshanic Station Firehouse and taught us how to make a garter stitch square. We sewed all our squares together to make a blanket which we took to the local nursing home. Two of my girls wore their fleece pajamas at the technical school Spring Show where the public comes in to see what they have learned. On deck for the next couple of weeks is felting - if I can come up with a nice big piece of bubble wrap - I have a Merino felting batt and lots of colored locks and paper making, which requires building wooden frames with screen bottoms. Much preparation of materials is required for all this crafty fun in school, but I derive so much pleasure from teaching them these wonderful skills.

No comments: