Saturday, January 02, 2010

Snowy Saturday

Very cold with a pretty snow falling this morning. I hear a major storm is headed for New England with a foot or more expected. Gosh, it seems like they just finished digging out from last year's snowfall. I just came in from the barn where everybody seems comfy cozy. The goats like to lie outside the barn door in the snow, under the stars at night. No new lambs for several days. They must have been waiting for my back to heal up. I seem to have lost two days, with the drugs I had available to me I was able to rest and take long naps. I promised myself I would work on my core strength, the same promise I make every time my back gives me trouble, but this time I think I will do it. I used to be so disciplined, but this "see-food" diet I've been on for the last few years has really taken a toll. Everything about farming is bending, stretching, lifting and carrying. You can't be in bad shape. We'll see how it goes. Luckily, I'm okay when I'm standing up straight. It's just sitting and bending that kills. Tomorrow should be better. I can do light chores, but no slinging bales. We had such a good time on New Year's Eve listening to Pamme Swan sing at the Mountain Top Golf Course. Her mom hooked my gorgeous "Country Girl" rug, purchased by barter for three Bundaflicka Bags, one for each daughter. Well, the whole family was there for dinner and I heard all kinds of compliments about my bags. One is being used to carry around a miniature dachshund - wish I had a picture of that. I got rocking chair cushion covers made for Mia's college friend who is having a baby. Matt brought home a rotesserie chicken which I turned into soup with all the half frozen celery and carrots on the floor of the refrigerator - so delicious. I got half a dozen bags cut out - standing up back works great - and will cut more and pack them in bags for sewing later. All roads lead to Maryland Sheep and Wool, happening May 1. If I make four bags a week, which is very do-able if I set my mind to it, and make a batch of soap every couple of weeks, and keep up with washing and dyeing my wool, I should be okay. I often complain about the "booths that come in the UPS truck," but not everything can be handmade, and we need all kinds of equipment and books. There are a few people like me who make everything they sell, but we are in the minority and that makes us even more special.

1 comment:

~ Teresa ~ said...

I hope that you are still feeling better. Nothing like back pain to slow a person down....