Monday, January 18, 2010

Cupboard is Bare



We are down to just a few bales of hay, so Matt hooked up the old landscape trailer to go get hay from Mr. Postma in New Berlin. He's a dairy farmer and has plenty of hay, great big bales, tightly bound, nice and dry. One of his bales is heavier than 2 from some other places and he delivers for free if I buy 200 bales. I can't do 200 this week so we have to pick up enough to get us through until we can get a full truck load. Our motor is broken on the elevator and Matt can't fix it. We found a guy in Brookfield, Mr. Barnes, who might be able to do it but we have to disconnect it and carry it to him. In the meantime, Matt is hopelessly stuck in the lane going up to the hay mow, on the icy slippery slope. The heavy Postma bales will have to be carried to the mow. I don't want to think about it. Oh, the woes of buying hay in the winter. Most of my summer teacher's pay will go to filling up the mow to avoid this happening. I hope Matt can get at least the truck unstuck so he can go to work tomorrow. I asked him to call Will Nolan, our dairy farmer neighbor, to yank him out with his tractor, but you know how men hate to ask favors. I'm up to my neck in newborns, sweaters, bottles and making sure everyone is fed sufficiently to get through another day of life on Maggie's Farm.

No comments: