Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Good to be Home



I'm okay once I get there, as a matter of fact I had a really good day, but driving in snow is not fun. We have big windows in the classroom and a pretty, soft snow fell all morning. The roads were much better on the way home. I was anxious to check on all the babies. The hay mow kids are fine - bellies full and backs warm under their sweaters. There's a lot of hay up there for them but we have to haul water up the ladder. It's clean, dry and cold. I'll be getting the remaining three mommies with their babies up there in the next day or two. Monkey's black boy is tiny, smaller than red Billy Goat brother. He might get lost in the hay, so I'll wait a day or two for him to grow a bit. The other two are only two days old. I had to float one in a warm bathtub to get the chill out of him. He's coming along nicely. The dogs will be happy when I get the goats out of that room, as we have to pass the mommies on the way out the door. Today one mother attacked the dogs as they were passing by her baby. You've never seen dogs move away so fast. Cooked some of Mary's local chopped beef into spaghetti sauce over ziti tonight...very delicious. News is sobering but hopeful on the Haiti scene. I was very impressed by a segment on an Israeli Army medical unit that set up there and is completely self-sufficient. They have imaging, neo-natal capacity, operating rooms, yada, yada, yada. You should see what they are doing there. They even have an ethics committee with them to help make difficult decisions about their patients. The Israeli Army major in charge quoted a famous Jewish idea, "If you save one life you save the world." I like that.

1 comment:

Henya said...

Glad to hear that all is well.