Saturday, January 23, 2010

Big Brother


Chris is living with the goat moms and their babies in the hay mow. Tough duty. All those bales of second cut hay to eat between naps. I opened up the big barn doors today for everybody to go out and enjoy some of this glorious sunshine. Bad weather due back next week. The moms went out and tried to get the babies to follow, but no luck. They looked outside, but once those tiny hoofs touched the cold snow they ran back into the hay. Matt got the trailer unstuck with much struggle and rocking back and forth. He unloaded the remaining bales into the barn and went back to Postma's for more. I've got a red dyed fleece to spread out in Mia and Hannah's room for drying and another on the stove. Last winter I was drying fiber on the kitchen table and fighting off cats. Much easier this way. I turn the heat on in that room and with the overhead fan on high the fiber dries just fine, undisturbed by cats and dogs. With lambing and kidding over, hopefully, I'm on full speed wool processing duty. If I think of all the work I have to do in the barn and in this apartment, with making product for upcoming shows, and my busy time at work this spring with special ed paperwork, etc. I just don't know how I'm going to get it all done. But then, I won't get it all done, and that's okay. Like I told my students, it's not finding the Holy Grail that's important, it's the quest that counts. Then I see, just now on TV, the little boy Monley, who was unearthed from debris after EIGHT days of no food or water, and how well he is doing and how happy he is to be alive, but how his family is dead and there's nobody to take care of him, and I feel so fortunate to have this farm, this farm business and my job in a country with so many opportunities.

No comments: