Saturday, July 21, 2007

The New Berlin Quilt Festival





The New Berlin Quilt Festival took place today. The weather cooperated and gave us a sunny, cool, breezy day. Porches up and down Main Street were decorated with hand made quilts - what an amazing slice of Americana! Nathan and I stayed up until 1:30 last night to make a new batch of Shepherd's Friend Hand Creme. The ladies from the local quilt guild were holding classes inside the Masonic Lodge with participants coming from all over New York State and New England. I was set up next to Susie Miehle, who raises Nubians just over the hill in Columbus. She told me I was listed on a site entitled "Central New York Soapmakers," and wondered why I wasn't participating in the guild's activities. I don't recall ever signing up for a group like that! Interesting...anyway, I met some local quilters, really nice folks. Linda Foote decided to let go of a sweet little Singer sewing machine with a cabinet. I thought it was a featherweight, but found out it's a step bigger, but has the same all-metal parts and case. It was love at first stitch, and for the price of four pair of socks it came home with me. A quilt shop came over from Syracuse with a nice collection of Hoffman fabrics - my favorite! Hannah and Luke loved the playground next door. Once in a while they would sit on my lap and we would do "team spinning." I would do the drafting and they worked the treadle - lots of fun. As I was closing up shop a mother and daughter came by, just passing through from Long Island, and purchased a bag, shave creme cup, and a pound of fiber! Nice bonus purchase I didn't think would happen. They ranted and raved about the bags and my other products. So nice to have some validation for my hard work. Tonight we will have our bonfire and get ready to say goodbye to Nathan tomorrow. His mother decided to send him to Ocean City, Maryland, with his father. Nathan is disappointed, but happy that I am sending him home with a starter goat flock.

1 comment:

miaaviva said...

that sounds like such a fun day mommy!!!!!!! wow! there are so many cool things to do up there!!! and the kids must be having so much fun! i had a nice chat with mattie this am.. i hope he remembered to tell yoU
oxoxoxooxx