Sunday, December 16, 2007

Blowing Hard


Blizzard winds are howling outside. It's still amazing to me that I can walk through the barn and, although it's cold, it's dry and still. The sheep and goats are lying around, some with snow on their backs because they've been out to the round bale. The llamas are chewing their cud, sitting like calm sphinxes, looking out the door at the blackness with churning snow in the air. This is why I bought this barn, without a house for myself. I wanted cover for my animals in storms like this. Little Sidewinder is standing up and still munching on hay. I pulled her out from the little hay tent I made over her this morning and made her stand up and walk around a bit. She was very stiff and reluctant to get up, but now she doesn't want to lie down. I'm convinced she's fine. I am so fond of her. She never made a sound for at least a year...then just last week or so she's been making little goat sounds, kind of like maaaahhh, maaaahh. I'm sure she means me!

No comments: