Friday, May 18, 2007

Look at that Green Stuff!



The hay is coming up beautifully. It may be my imagination but it looks greener and thicker than last year. My fields have not been fertilized in ten years, so I could be considered "organic" but I prefer to say "natural." I won't put pesticides down but might use lime if I have to. I have a barn full of sheep, llama and rabbit manure that will do just fine. I need to get my 1947 Farmall M tractor up here from Pennsylvania and buy hay making equipment, in addition to a manure spreader. Then, with good amounts of rain and sunshine I will be in the hay business. Buying hay killed me last winter. My pig farmer neighbor promised to hay my land for me last summer, then backed out when his uncle, who owns the equipment, told him he couldn't use it on my land. They and the former owner here are all related and there must have been bad blood. What that has to do with me I don't know, but I guess old wounds still fester.

No comments: