Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Full Belly is a Happy Belly



Matt got me some more round bales yesterday. The farmers around here are on the last bales tucked away in the barn, getting ready to fill them up with fresh hay. I saw some moldy spots and pulled away everything I could find. Cows know how to pick through the bad spots but sheep and goats don't. Mold is deadly to sheep, especially lambs, so Maggie is nervous. The sooner I get my flock out on grass the better. I hope I do well at New Hampshire next weekend so I can hire someone to get that fence up. The llamas are looking longingly at the green grass across the fence. I was tempted to let them out to graze, then ring the bell to get them back in the barn - but last time I did that they ran down the lane and across the road. I wish I could sit on a rock in the field across the road and watch them graze...but what if they crossed the creek, went up the other side of the valley? I can see myself running like a madwoman trying to turn them back. I could bring Izzy, but Izzy has a tendency to run them the wrong way. He's adorable but has a terrible sense of direction. Back to work I go, to make some money and buy that fencing!

No comments: