Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder


Funny how we humans react to aloneness. I think we are flock animals, just like my sheep. Matt called from NJ to say how homesick he is for me and the dogs. I thought he would enjoy getting away from the craziness that is the Farm, and get a good night sleep in his motel room. He works with a crew all day, where he can curse and tell off-color jokes without reproachful glances or eye rolling by me - and I know he enjoys their company and the hard physical labor. The work can be interesting at times, too. Now he is putting a thatched roof on a luxurious horse farm in Hunterdon County. But when push comes to shove, he would rather be in the gnarly little trailer with me and the dogs at night. The trailer is getting warm during the day, even though it is shaded by the silos all afternoon. I have to leave a fan running for the doggies when I go to work. They are programmed to go back to bed when I leave. When I pull in the driveway the trailer starts rocking and barking, and I have to run for the door before they knock over the lamp and the coffee pot. The White Boys are tied outside, Knut and Finn that is. Thor is trusted to be loose and patrols the farm. I thought they would bark incessantly being tied up, but they seem to like it. I was moving them around until one of their lines mashed my middle finger. It still is not healing right - I think I should have gone to the ER to have a hole drilled in the nail (ouch!)because the pressure is still there. Moving into the apartment is going to give us all a lot more room. Then I am going to push that trailer over a cliff if I can find one.

No comments: