Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Eighty Degrees?


Did I hear correctly? The Central New York TV station said 80 today. It's 40 outside the milkroom door. I had to turn the propane oven on in the trailer this morning. I'm washing my favorite pair of jeans to wear to work today. I have half a dozen but this pair is just right. Fortunately my school is very relaxed. Administration dresses to the nines but teachers, forget about it! One student was teased mercilessly about cow manure under his boots. He milks 200 cows a day on a neighbor's farm. There are many fewer farm owners than I thought there would be here...most students have grandparents who went out of the dairy business and sold off their land. Not enough profit in dairy, and a heck of a lot of work. I can't imagine it. Gas is over $3 a gallon here, higher than NJ. I don't know how people drive. Everywhere you go here is a hundred miles round trip! Hay will go up because it costs so much to run the tractors. One student told me it cost him $60 to plow and disk for a day. But they have to plant the hay and corn - or the cows don't eat, and they can't make milk. I love to see the Holsteins around here, they are so picturesque against the green hillsides. I think they will be a thing of the past 20 years from now, and we'll all be drinking soy milk.

No comments: