Sunday, May 20, 2007

Happy Birthday Janipat!


Jan and I met when she was working as a substitute at Voorhees High School in Hunterdon County, New Jersey. Jan could be counted on to keep the worst class in line. She didn't take any nonsense. After all, Jan was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan. Jan is a doctor's daughter, and has all the trappings of that kind of upbringing - she sleeps on a $3,000 mattress, surrounded by a dozen piece bedroom set of black lacquered Chinese style furniture, with bright red Egyptian cotton sheets. Her personal bathroom is bigger than my trailer, and has a clamshell jacuzzi under a cathedral ceiling. But Jan is not a powder puff kind of girl - she likes to get down and dirty on the farm, and is a great hand when it comes to sheep shearing. You should see her with a crook in her hands and that "just try to get past me" expression on her face. Jan and I have been fast friends for a couple of years now. She was hired on as a full time aide, taking care of students who require great sensitivity and creativity with their academic needs. I know Voorhees is not happy about the fact that I am trying to seduce Jan and her husband, Dave, to move up here to the North Country with me. Dave is retired from ATT and has told Jan that this time, yes, this time, Jan can pick where they are to move. You see, Jan has been the faithful executive's wife and dragged the family all over the place for the sake of hubby's career. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Jan's scheming and planning works out and I can run across the road in my jammies to have coffee with her at day break, and we can pack up and take off to sheep festivals together. What fun we could have...here's to wishing and hoping, and many more happy birthdays to a dear, dear, friend!

No comments: