Thursday, May 24, 2007

Let Us Out!




Raring to go, they await the opening of the gate. For the second night in a row the vigilant shepherd grazing worked fine. Nobody made a run for the road, and they didn't get too far up the hill, either. For now there is plenty to eat on the lower part of the hill, with the briars and brambles for the goats along the apple orchard. I couldn't help but go into a zenlike state, with all the worries and woes of the workaday world fading away. The ultimate bucolic setting was before my very eyes - incredible beauty every where I turned. The couple of times I had to walk up the hill to coax them down, I hit my staff and extra stick on the grass instead of extending my arms out with them. The sound of something in the grass made them move along better - fear of predators in the tall grass? Two sheep managed to get away from me, but they followed Chris and Breeze so I left them alone. When I thought they had enough to eat I ran for the 50 lb bag of corn and the bell. They anticipated what I was going to do and started to come in even before I had time to open the bag. Sheep are such creatures of habit! When they were finished gobbling up the corn - it only takes a minute or two - they ran back up to the gate to go out in the field again. I felt like a heel keeping them in. Someday soon we will have the proper fencing up to keep them out, with Chris, Breeze and the White Boys on duty. I think I will bring a folding chair out with me tomorrow night. The grazing takes time, and with so many other chores to do it makes a late night for me. I ate a little dinner at 9:30 and here I am. So many lives to take care of, doggies, hay mow kitties, outside kitties, bunnies, chickens, sick lamb, sick ram, ewe looking sick, tackled her and gave her worm and vitamin B shots, there's no end to it. Any time for me? But it's all for me and this is the life I chose. It kind of ran away with me - but when I think of how the flock looked out in the field on the hill, with the sun going down and mist on the valley, and how I wanted to freeze the moment in time, it's all worth it. So very worth it.

No comments: