Thursday, May 03, 2007

Look What I Found!



I saw a goat eating what looked like afterbirth, and, low and behold, standing behind her was a newborn doe kid. It never ceases to thrill me - new life, and a surprise at that. I thought I was done with kidding - no kidding! She's so precious. I did my clip, dip, strip and for this mother, trimming of the udder area. Her colostrum is thick and healthy and I gave the little one a belly full with my tiny syringe to give her a good start. Ordinarily I would have put them in a pen, but they looked very cozy in their corner of the barn and, quite frankly, I was just too tired to drag the mother across the barn. Wrestling her down to trim her and nurse out the milk was quite enough for me. Two more sheep to lamb, I think! That's okay, I like surprises, and it's springtime, and they don't freeze while waiting for me to come home, so come on babies!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love the colors of the little one! If only they kept that contrast as they grew up. It's great that the weather is finally easing up and you don't have to worry about the freezing temperatures.

Gretchen said...

and the kitty is thinking...

"humm...too big for lunch."

I love the background ancillary characters of cats.

and you're blog!!!!!