Thursday, May 03, 2007

Green, Green Grass of Home


The grass is so green it hurts your eyes. Beautiful rolling hills of farmland. This is my first spring away from New Jersey and the biggest difference, besides the delightful lack of traffic, is the disappointing lack of flowering hybrid trees. The only cherry tree I have noticed this spring is the one in the courtyard of my school. Now they are talking about paving the courtyard over for a classroom. Big mistake! New Jersey and Bucks County, Pa. is covered with flowering trees. But farmers don't spend money on hybrid trees. They put it into the ground in the form of seed and fertilizer, or buy new livestock, understandably. I had five different varieties of flowering cherry trees in my yard in Morristown. Planted them with my own hands and thought I would watch them grow thirty feet tall. The main street is lined with ornamental pear trees that burst open and wow the townspeople for a week or two every spring. Oh, they were gorgeous. Life throws us some curves, doesn't it? I think I will buy myself a cherry tree for the farm.

No comments: