Sunday, December 12, 2010

So Fortunate


The Delaware Riverkeeper show in New Hope was, for me, incredibly successful and validating. Let's see, where to begin? I left school on Friday and began my journey to New Jersey to spend the night with Mia. Driving was awful as the snow wouldn't let up and the roads were slick. I hate driving in the dark in bad weather. Finally made it to Morristown and Mia's beautiful little apartment, upstairs in the Brady's historic Victorian house. I got a boisterous greeting from Young Finn and settled down to wait for Mia. She came home from duty at the hospital with a roast chicken and made us a lovely dinner. Andrew was off for a bachelor party ski weekend in Vermont so I had my daughter all to myself. Nurse Kim traded days with Mia so she could accompany me to New Hope to the show. It was so helpful to have her help setting up. She brought little Lilly, the Shemu Emu (sp?) puppy belonging to Aneesh, Andrew's friend and ski partner, who instantly became a big hit at the show. Nothing like an unusual adorable puppy to help make new friends. Lilly lives in Manhattan with her banker owner and has a professional walker who comes to the condo to take care of her during the day. Soap and creme sales were steady through the weekend. I feel very fortunate to have had so many friends come and visit me, including my ever faithful supporters Rebecca and Mark Dioda, Mia's bridesmaid Kim and her family, and my dear Suzy Fatzinger. I sold one bag, a few Mother Fiber packs, a pound or two of roving, some note cards, and lots of soap and creme. Many repeat customers which is very encouraging. I love trading with other crafters and managed to score some pottery, a silk sari-skirt for Mia, some wooden spoons and knives, and a Christmas tree for my classroom at school! Who'd a thunk it? Saturday night Mia made soup from the chicken we had the night before and I watched TV and made fiber packs while Mia studied. We had some very meaningful girl-time together and fell asleep as Paul McCartney came on to Saturday Night Live. Never got to see him sing as I was a goner...Sunday AM and we were up at 5. Mia went to work and I went back to the show, 40 miles away. Pouring, torrential rain made driving a bit tricky. Glad it wasn't snow! The attendance was down today but I, lucky girl that I am, had steady soap and creme sales. Thank you Lord people like my stuff. I had so much fun talking to people all day and explaining for the hundredth time just where my farm is in Upstate New York. Two hours to pack the van, and fit the tables inside as I lost a strap so sorry Matt, and back to Mia's feeling rather frayed but happy. Mia should be home any time from the hospital with take-out California rolls from my old favorite sushi joint Nagano, and I'll tell her all about my day and she'll tell me about her patients. She always has interesting stories to tell about this one who fell off a horse and has a brain-bleed, or stroke, etc., etc. Home tomorrow for me, into a storm unfortunately, but at least I will be driving in day light. Couldn't make it tonight if I wanted to. Matt called to say he's out of cat food and dog food and he didn't get anything done today. I was afraid of that but I'm too tired to be mad and it will get done when I'm home to help him. I told him to defrost chicken soup for the cats and dogs and I will bring everybody what they need...that is after I stop at my favorite hospital fund-raising thrift boutique, the Bargain Box, to check out the treasures. I will definitely fill up with gas before leaving the state because....Jersey girls don't pump!!

No comments: