Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Felting



I wish I had more time to felt wool. I have all the fabulous dyed and naturally colored fibers to make some incredibly beautiful pieces, but it's not that easy. Felting requires a lot of physical stamina. No wonder it's done with all the women in the village helping. You can really work up a sweat, rolling and working a piece of felt. It must be rolled in a rubber mat and squeezed to make the wet fibers shrink and stick to each other. Then it's unrolled, turned, and rolled up again to repeat the process until you have a hard fabric. It helps to have an eye for color and design. If you are lucky you end up with an artsy beautiful piece of wool cloth that can be used for a variety of things. I really like what Candace is doing with wool. I like her circles and use of novelty yarn in her felted pieces.

No comments: