Monday, December 06, 2010

Maggie Musings


What a beautiful, surreal landscape around here on this snowy stormy day. White knuckle driving but so lovely to look at. Not many cars on the road but many trucks on route 8. Road covered with snow and ice all the way to River Road in Norwich. We watched it come down all day from my classroom windows. I tried to get out as soon after 3 as I could get it together. Got home just fine going nice and slow. Front wheel drive, new snow tires and my whole craft show booth making extra weight helped me get home without any major skidding. Got up the drive but don't know if I'll get out again after snowing all night. I adore snowy days, but don't like having to get out in it. There's a drift up against the duck pen and I will have to carry their warm water out to them. I can get to the chickens from inside the barn. The sheep are inside, snug and dry, but can get out to eat the snow if they want. I shudder to see farm animals stuck outside, huddled together against the wind. There's a new mother cow with her calf down the road. She has the baby in the bushes to get it out of the wind. I remember reading about Teddy Roosevelt and how he lost his herd of cattle in the western blizzard of 1889. He said he would never again have animals he couldn't shelter from the weather. Me, too. I have frozen cabbage soup melting on the stove now. Won't it taste good after chores. Lots of sewing and hand creme making for me this week. Better get busy.

No comments: