Monday, February 15, 2010

New Crescent Moon


There's a lovely crescent moon just over the ridge opposite the valley my farm sits in. The round moon is silhouetted by the setting sun and is glowing softly from the dwindling light. The air is cold and fresh, with twinkling stars overhead. I may be crazy, but there's an ever so slight hint of spring in the air. I tossed Billy Goat up into the hay mow to play with the other kids while I did my chores, only to realize later I didn't have anyone here to hand him down to. I was reluctant to drop him so I held his sweater in my teeth while I climbed down the later. He didn't like dangling in the air and screamed his head off, but he was fine. One of these days I'll leave him up there for the day while I'm at work. I'm tired of the piddle patrol in the apartment and he's chewing on things that could be dangerous. Billy's favorite trick is to go in the bathroom and shut the door with his hooves, closing himself in. He hasn't figured out what to do then, and I'm not always there to hear his bleatings. We'll see how it goes. Sewing and Olympics on deck for tonight. I peaked and found out that Bode Miller won a bronze medal. Good for him - I like a comeback kid, chastened and matured through suffering. More figure skating tonight, a real treat. When Matt is gone I like to get chores done before pitch black dark, which happens around 6:30 now. I leave lights on in the barn, but most of them have been bashed with our heads and are broken. Wouldn't you know, both headlights are lost in the apartment. I called Matt in Long Island but he can't remember where they are. I would leave Thor loose to take care of things, but my neighbor, Sister Bernadette, is home from the convent for the holiday and doesn't like it when Thor patrols past her house. He thinks he's protecting her, but she doesn't appreciate his efforts. What's for dinner? Apples and peanut butter I think, with some mandarin oranges over light vanilla ice cream for dessert. Hmmmm, good.

1 comment:

Henya said...

Billy Goat sounds like a toddler. Would he wear a diaper? Or would he just chew it off?