Friday, February 05, 2010

Deep Breaths


When I get home from work the first thing I do is give Billy his bottle. He's prancing and dancing all over the apartment floor. The doggies are crossing their legs, trying to hold it until I get them outside. It's good to get some fresh air after being locked inside all day. We climb the hill in the snow, not all the way, but just enough to look down on our beautiful barn and I can meditate on why I'm working so hard. My land is not good for hay, as it is hilly and full of dips, holes and rocks, but it is full of character and very interesting. I'm still finding spots that surprise and intrigue me. It's perfect for grazing as the sheep have lots of places to explore and hide in, and water holes to drink from. The light stays late enough that I can see around the land. The last couple of nights I've had a real thrill when I heard an owl hooting on the piney ridge that rises over my farm. There were lots of owls in New Jersey and Pennsylvania and I missed their calls in the night. I think there is only one owl here, as I don't hear any "answers" to this hooting. I hope she hatches more owls. They are just so cool. Hawks can take away baby lambs, but owls usually take chickens and rabbits. I would mind an owl taking some of my roosters. I have dozens of them. I hear they are not so good for eating, just good for flavoring soup. If times get really hard, I could have a lot of chicken soup.

No comments: