Sunday, December 07, 2008

That's Life on the Farm


Matt is taking some of my wethers to the processor today. My hay bills are staggering, so much I'm embarrassed to disclose. I can't do it again this winter. When I can't pay my household bills due to hay bills it's time to do the unthinkable. My old boys have to go. I've held on to them as long as I can, through thick and thin and unbelievable circumstances. I thought when I bought this farm I could hold on to them forever, but events have conspired against it. It breaks my heart. They all have names - Andrew, Frodo, Bilbo, Patrick, etc. These are the boys who've been with me from the beginning. I am buying good alfafa/grass hay from Mr. Simmonds, the dairy man down the road, but even at this price it's too much. I've made a deal with him to buy his hay off the field next summer, saving more money, and saving him a lot of work. I will try to keep real busy today as I am really depressed about this whole sheep/farm management thing. When I have a hard time making decisions I always think of what I would say to Mia if she was in the same circumstances. I would tell her some sheep have to go. You did the best you could for them while you had them. You have to pay your electric bill, truck payments, and buy Christmas presents for your grandkids. Even so, I have no business in the sheep business.

2 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

BIG HUGS honey!!! You did the right (although cruelly hard) thing to do.
You;re an amazing shepherd and friend!!
Hope things go better soon!
Wish we could drive down a truckload or two of hay from Canada.
Kim and crew
where it finally snowed!

Kathleen said...

Hi Maggie. The truth is that every farmer with animals faces what you are facing, and it's a hard decision for every one of them. The practice of culling and deciding who is a breeder and who is not is part of the life. Some deal with it by simply not breeding some years and some deal with it by cullng and selling off the lesser animals. No one can feed countless mouths for countless years. The trick is to decide immediately, before attaching yourself emotionally, which animals are to be a part of the flock and which are to be sold. In this way you can take good care of your animals and still know that you will be letting them go.

Why not practice SELECTIVE breeding and, rather than send your babies to the meat packers, market your beautiful sheep as fiber animals? I know the issue right now is to get down to a manageable level, which will be difficult for your emotions, but much better on your wallet.

You DO belong in the sheep business. You have it in your heart. What you might need is a new approach about breeding practices and herd and range management. Decide if you are in it for the meat (apparently not), the fiber, or if you want to have an animal rescue and make your decisions from there.