Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday PM Getting Dark


Libby and her handsome, atheletic son, Quentin, made a difficult transaction much easier. They arrived with their rig at 2 and left two hours later with 10 lovely, sound, pregnant ewes. Libby was happy and I was relieved to have some of the responsibility of birthing lambs shifted on to someone more equipped. Libby is a shepherd from way back and happy to share her knowledge and experience. She brought a leg staff with her, which catches the sheep by the back leg instead of the neck - much easier. Libby and Quentin both had on amazingly beautiful hand knit sweaters and so looked the part. Quentin's was brown with a hoodie and a pouch for pockets. I have to ask her for that pattern. Libby's husband is a vet and is into animal chiropractic medicine. They are both home all day. If I had to let some ewes go it couldn't have been to a better place. Now I don't have to worry about Matt on his knees coaxing newborns to take their mother's teats. Well, he might anyway if I missed some. Matt had some kind things to say to me today like:

This flock reduction is just a recalibration of our lives as shepherds.
We had no idea what we were getting into when we moved up here (true).
We were just a couple of dumb kids from NJ with big ideas (even more true).
This whole experience would have put a weaker woman under and he's proud of me.

I felt better with some recognition from Beasty Boy. He went to New Berlin to pick up the paper and I have a ton of soap to cut up. If only Lilly would have her lamb before I leave for California...

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Maggie, I'm glad you are looking at the reduction as just a recalibration of the flock. Your beautiful ewes will carry with them your reputation as a great shepherd and I'm sure that Libby will let people know where they come from.

It's much better for the animals and your own mental and financial health to be able to give quality care to a flock of a manageable size. And your decision declares to the sheep and fiber world that you are a good shepherd.