Saturday, December 06, 2008

8 F.


Clear skies which often means colder temps. Woke up at 5:30 and looked around. I had a little more room in the bed and didn't realize at first that Bodie was missing. After I got the fire going, made coffee and suited up I found him in the barn. Must have been a cold night for his old bones. Checked the temp on the steps - 8 F. Rosanna reminded me that four years ago when she moved to B'field it went down to 30 below for three days in a row. Whew, that's a pipe freezer for sure. No lambs this morning. The barn in the wee hours is quiet, with sheep lying down everywhere. The Little Lamb Fine Dineing chickens are almost grown and are roosting on top of the sheep. The wool keeps their skinny little chicken legs warm. A tip toe through trying not to disturb them. The older sheep stay put, but a few young ones jump up, hoping I have something for them to eat. They are all hungry and I have them on tight rations. The sound of all those jaws chewing on cud makes a lovely music in the barn. A couple of ewes are real big and round. I have a bucket of lamb milk replacer in case the first ewe to give birth has no milk. I pray the first birth has lots of colostrum I can freeze for extra and plenty of milk. Busy day today. Snow storm expected, coming this way on the radar. Hope there is some sun so I can take Etsy store pictures. I have some adorable bags to put on the site. Hope Mia's friends are still waiting to shop. Have to pick up hay, and clean out my red truck for Steve and Kelly to pick up. Steve had an accident and totalled Kelly's new car. They have no way for her to get to work or drive the kids around. I love this truck but it has been off the road with no brakes for six months. Matt doesn't have the time or inclination to keep three vehicles legal and running and I can't stand to see it go to rust in front my eyes. If Kelly can use it, then Merry Christmas. Mia gave me my Jeep, I'll pass it forward. I have to scramble to make up for the loss of Riverkeeper income. There's a giant craft show in Syracuse this weekend that I incredibly had not heard of. I'll work like crazy for the next four months to get ready for Maryland Sheep and Wool in May and have my little cargo trailer full to the roof with product.

No comments: