Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Weaving New Friendships

I spent some time chatting with Margaret of Greentree Weavers from Ohio.  One can't help but be attracted to the boxcar-like trailer full of incredibly beautiful woven cloaks and jackets.  Margaret is a real grass roots kind of weaver.  She raises the sheep, processes the wool with her own mill, spins the yarn, and weaves the cloaks on a loom of her own design.  I came away thoroughly impressed and eager to set up my Glimakra loom and start weaving.  I dream of a weaving studio here on the farm.  The Glimakra, a Swedish floor loom, I purchased prior to moving to the farm, is in pieces in the tractor shed.  I want to weave rugs with my mohair and coarser wool.  It's only a matter of time - and building a room somewhere in this massive barn - before I get the clickety-clack of the shuttles going and turn out those rugs.

No comments: