Monday, May 28, 2012

Spinning My Life Away

A holiday weekend hardly brings any change in activity around here.  There are always chores to be done and animals to take care of.  We worked the Hamilton market on Saturday, which is an all-day deal.  I had a great time, although three of my vendor friends who I look forward to seeing didn't come.  My new booth neighbor has not been there in two weeks.  There are too many upscale vendors at this market, with double the number of food outfits, cooking and grilling away, with hardly a hungry person in line.   I counted three new potters, all with fabulous wares, including one who brings her wheel to throw clay while people watch.   I'm enjoying the party now before they give up and drop out, one by one, and before the temps become so high that the only market patrons are the locals who come at the crack of dawn to get a few veggies.  I will be there anyway, with my fan plugged into the lamp.  The market is my summer job and I'm one of the die-hards.  As long as Matt is willing to help me set up and take down I'll go.  With no family around and no one to put on a party for on a holiday weekend like this, I like having somewhere festive to go and socialize.  I always thought Memorial Day should be a solemn day, when one pauses and reflects on the meaning of the day, rather than mattress and furniture sales... but the sacrifice of those who served their country enables we civilians to enjoy all those freedoms, however frivolous.  I enjoyed the freedom to sit at my spinning wheel and spin up some lovely teal yarn.  I made Clary Sage and Lavender soap with the lovely oil that is said to regulate a woman's hormones.  Don't know about that but it sure smells good and my hormones are on rather an even keel these days anyway.  Back to work tomorrow, and the countdown to June 22 when I will not have to make that trip to Norwich every day.  I won't miss it.  I'm hoping Hannah and Luke come for a visit, perhaps while Annie and Eric make the move to the new BSA position at the Pine Tree Council in Portland, Maine.  The family is in Disney World now, although I am afraid they might be rained on with Tropical Storm Beryl moving up the coast.  On deck for today besides barn and critter chores - Lemongrass soap, and a couple of Bundaflicka totes.  We might hit 90 today.  Maybe a dip in the pond?  We'll see.

No comments: