Sunday, May 13, 2012

Goldfish Pond

Mia and I were looking in the pond for a glimpse of "Goldie," my resident gold fish who has lived in the pond for several years now.  Goldie is about a foot long and has a lovely fan tail.  We usually see her early in the year when she has awakened from her muddy, wintery sleep.  Mia said look, there's a gold fish.  I asked her if it might be Goldie and she said no, this fish was smaller.  How smaller?  The way she described it I thought it might be one of the gold fish I was given by the Conservation dept. at my school.  They students had so many little goldfish stocked in their pond on the school grounds they decided to give some away.  I took the little ones home to my pond, hoping for the best, but fearing that Goldie would eat them.  Apparently, Goldie has satisfied herself with plant life, or other minnows, because the pond has a quite healthy gold fish population!  We spotted a school of gold fish swimming together!  It was quite a thrill to find I have my own personal "coy pond" which never needs feeding or other treatment.

No comments: