Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lovely and Damp

With all the recent rain the grass is green and lush.  The sheep and goats come in with bulging bellies (but still ask for cracked corn).  I peeked out the barn door and saw the first hummingbird of the season, hovering at the feeder.  I blinked and it was gone.  Mia and I bought a feeder last weekend, then I found last year's in the cupboard.  I put one farther out in the barnyard to attract them and one closer to the barn where I can see them better.  I think they are little miracles and was thrilled when I learned upstate New York is hummingbird heaven.  Finally cut up all those bundles of rhubarb I picked up from the end of the lady's farm lane on King's Settlement Road.  I paid a small fortune for some fresh strawberries at the little market in New Berlin.  I would save a lot of money if I went to Price Chopper in Norwich, but it requires crossing town in the opposite direction of where I need to go.  Proximity means everything to me as I am always rushing home to the animals.  Not so much the sheep, as they lounge around until I let them out to graze, but the doggies who are listening to every noise for my truck.  After chores I collected the armful of rhubarb, washed and cut it up with the strawberries to simmer for a while.  What a delicious brew that is, especially over ice cream, and I'm afraid I overindulged.  I wanted to preserve the rhubarb but was too tired to collect and boil all the jars tonight.  Will freeze it instead for canning later.   Have to remember to go out and lock up the sheep and take the doggies with me for one last pee.  The stars are lovely tonight, with several little planets glowing orange.  Several days of pleasant weather are ahead.  It was 58 F. in the barn when I was working out there.  Perfect for me.  I love this cool weather, but am aware that the blistering hot days are required for bringing in hay.   I must remember to turn the water heater back on in the milk room.    I can't run the clothes dryer and have the water heater on at the same time.  Funky old electric.  Wouldn't do to have a cold bath in the morning, although it's happened many times.  Good night.

No comments: